According to the Sega Road to 2020 business presentation the one-time powerhouse gaming company is slated to reveal major IP’s in the near future.
There was a time when Sega was one of the major video game companies in the world. Since their fall flashes of the old Sega greatness has been seen, but they never really returned to their former glory. Sega has outlined these points of their business plan moving forward.
Packaged Games Field (example titles: Total War: Warhammer, Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, Football Manager 2017, and Persona 5)
- Expand existing IPs and obtain new IPs for North American and European PC games
- Build revenue base by being entrusted with outsourced development
- Challenge for new IPs
- Revival of major IPs
- Effective utilization of development engines
Digital Games Field (example titles: Puyo Puyo!! Quest, Hortensia Saga, Chain Chronicle 3, and Phantasy Star Online 2)
- Create titles that will become global hits
- Establish digital marketing business
- Expand overseas publishing business
- Maintain profits through long-term operation of existing titles
- Develop next-generation titles
One of Sega’s biggest problems in the past few years has been creating games that become global hits. It appears to do this Sega is planning to revive past IP’s while utilizing existing and new IP’s and expanding development channels.
Reviving past IP’s is something Sega fans have been waiting on for years. Could this plan turn around Segas luck? What games are you interested in seeing return?